Sunday 27 March 2022
‘The community you want starts at your front door’
Neighbour Day is Australia’s annual celebration of community, encouraging people to connect with those who live in their neighbourhood.
This year’s Neighbour Day is Sunday 27 March.
Neighbour Day is the perfect opportunity to say thanks for being a great neighbour and for being there to lend a hand. There are lots of ways you can join in the fun!
Create connections on Neighbour Day
Being a friendly neighbour can ease loneliness and create a caring community. ‘Kindness is something everyone can give’.
There are many actions, some big, some small, that you can take to help create a brighter place. You can organise a gathering of neighbours for a BBQ or a game of sport in the local park; you can introduce yourself to a new neighbour in your street; or invite a neighbour over for a chat and a cuppa.
Here’s 5 ideas to bring your neighbours together:
1. Host a simple BBQ / sausage sizzle with neighbours
2. Organise a game of cricket, Frisbee, soccer, boules (yes, anything really!) on the local oval
3. Organise a Very Neighbourly Bake-Off -everyone can bring something they have baked to share and the tastiest cake could get an award
4. Start a private online group to keep in touch and up to date
5. Or simply have a cup of tea or a chat with a new (or old!) neighbour
Use Council’s Better Events Planning Toolkit to help you plan your next event. Download here